Sunday, April 28, 2013

The past is the past...

...but it's shaped who I am today. It doesn't mean I'm not looking forward, but I do have to deal with some baggage and take accountability. It means I have to take a good, hard look at "me" and figure out what I want to keep, what I want to change, and what I simply have to learn to deal with.

As I prepare to start clean eating and cleansing my body, I realize that the hardest part is going to changing my mindset. I found myself thinking yesterday that once I embrace this lifestyle it will mean no more drive-thrus, no candy bars, even the occasional diet soda will be a thing of the past if I want to succeed. I found myself mourning the loss of these nutritionally-deficient foods and I haven't even started my plan yet! And how silly to miss those things that cause you harm? It's like wishing the school bully lived with you to offer up his daily dose of pain.

The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized these foods never did anything for me. Drive-thrus and fast food are convenient and sure, there are some healthful-looking choices available. But mostly these products are fat-, salt-, and chemical-laden. What have they ever done for me but drain my energy and wallet? Saved some time? Maybe. But nothing a bit of planning wouldn't take care of. So no mourning there.

My sweet tooth. My devil child. I love sugar. I will go so far as to say I'm addicted to it. When I've purged sugars from my system in the past I've experienced severe headaches and nasty mood swings. It's clear to me that refined sugars (and perhaps all natural sugars outside of fruits and vegetables) wreck havoc with my system. Ad i always want more, more, more... The temporary joy I get from consumption isn't worth what's happening with my body. I just need to keep reminding myself of that because the pull is very strong.

Soda? Honestly, I could take it or leave it. The artificial sweeteners are horrible for you and studies show that they even increase your cravings for sugar. But some days, nothing beats a Diet Coke...

Lots to work on before my Isagenix arrives. I know if I address these problems now it will be easier to follow my cleansing and fat burning system.  Yesterday I didn't do so well. Today is a new day and I'm pretty much on track. It comes down to what I want more - a healthy life or immediate gratification?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be gentle and kind. There's enough meanness in this world; I don't need it here. I plan to be honest with my accounts which means I'm leaving myself vulnerable. I expect you to respect that. Thank you.